Summer has faded and Autumn has come on quickly! And we realised that we have not updated the blog in quite some time. (Our apologies! This is mostly due to busy summers and various members of our team submitting their PhDs!) Buckle up, this will be a longer-than-normal post to catch you up with all of our gardening.
Summer saw the weld increase in size quite rapidly, and was well over six feet tall when it was harvested! We ended up with a nice amount of weld to dry and experiment with in the coming months. Since we’ve mostly been using weld extract for our experiments due to time constraints, we’re really excited to use the dried weld at an upcoming project workshop to see how the colour does or does not change.
The weld seed pods.
Some of the weld after it was dried.
Weld at the start of the summer.
We also have about a dozen woad plants growing, some in the ground, and others in pots. The team is quite excited that we finally cracked woad, and have a few sizeable plants that will hopefully be mature enough to experiment with at the end of next season.
And after more maybe-madder-maybe-not-madder conundrums early in the season, we can say we officially have a few madder plants growing quite nicely. They’re quite the sticky little plant! While they will not be ready for experiments for another couple of years, we’re nonetheless eager to work with them as they grow.
The other big event in the summer was leaving the Greenhouse. Due to construction at the Edinburgh College of Art, we had to relocate all of the Greenhouse plants to the homes of various project team members. While we’re sad to be losing the space, we’re excited for the ECA renovations! We expect a few new challenges without the Greenhouse, especially when we start cultivating the next generation of plants. (Sorry-ish to any neighbours and flatmates who are confused by the vines appearing in hallways!)
Our winter plans are focused on planning future workshops (fingers-crossed for funding applications to develop woad and cochineal workshops) and caring for the plants over the cold months. We’re also hoping to add a few sections to the website, including Pigment Profiles and a Bibliography on medieval colour and dyes! Stay tuned!
Over the last several weeks, we’ve been busy tending the seeds we planted in October. So far, a few things have sprouted, but few of these seedlings seem to be thriving in the Greenhouse. We’re hopeful as we are still trying to find our feet with the Greenhouse and find the perfect temperature for all of the plants while figuring out how much water is too much water. There seems to be no noticeable pattern as to how fast the plants dry out!
The weld that we transplanted into pots to bring inside for the winter is finally showing signs of recovering from the transition inside. The weld still outside is also doing well, despite the recent frosts.
Greenhouse in November
Frost on the boundary logs in the Garden.
In other news, we were awarded a £300 grant by the Festival of Creative Learning at the University of Edinburgh for two workshops in February. We’ll have details of the workshops up soon! Details will include: what we’ll be doing in the workshops, how to sign up (they are open to everyone, including community members!), and how you can follow along if you can’t make it.